we touch the future
· Globally, the number of unemployed people is expected to stay high at 192M by the end of 2018. In developing and lower middle-income countries, informal employment is more than 40% of total employment.
· Cotton production provides 250M jobs worldwide and employs almost 7% of all labor in developing countries. However; chemicals used in cotton production have negative impacts on environment and health.
· Today, there are more than 300M people living in poverty mostly in emerging countries.
· According to ILO, 1 out of every 6 people work in the global fashion industry. More than 450 million people work in supply chain-related jobs. A greater number of these workers are women earning less than $3 per day.
· According to UN, 218M children (5-17 years old) are in employed globally. 152M of which are victims of child labour; almost half of them work in hazardous conditions.
· Work-related health problems result in an economic loss of 4–6% of GDP for most countries.
· According to WHO, the death of 1.7M children under age 5, and 5M adults ages 50-75 could be prevented by better environment management.
· Freedom of association and collective bargaining are among the founding principles of the International Labour Association (ILO), a UN agency bringing together governments, employers and workers of member States, to set labour standards, develop policies and devise programmes promoting decent work for all women and men.
· We believe our employees are our greatest assets and respect their right to work in a healthy and safe environment. We do not tolerate any form of forced, hazardous, compulsory, bonded or child labour or any other kind of unethical employment practice. (ORTA complies with Occupational Health and Safety, OHSAS 18001)
· As defined by our HR policy, without any discrimination, our employees have the right to form and join unions of their choice and bargain collectively.
· We are committed to Equal Opportunities Policy; from recruitment through training and development to appraisal and promotion. We have zero tolerance for any kind of discrimination within our organization and all parties of our supply chain.
· We pledge to support local production We work on sustaining local social development through innovative community projects, sponsorships, voluntary educational and environmental activities and trainings.
· As ORTA, we support the human spirit of our co-workers with life-long learning approach. We redefine success measured by personal fulfillment by creating a social environment designed to stimulate creativity and encourage social interaction.
· We aim to raise awareness and train our colleagues, stakeholders and consumer for a sustainable future.
· We aim to support local production and value artisanship.
· We commit to strengthen our continuing efforts in both local and international platforms on cotton and other fiber production to support sustainable farming practices together with healthy working conditions.
HUMAN TOUCH – HONG KONG EVENT
WE TOUCH THE FUTURE is a nod to our 65 years of heritage, reflecting our present and embracing the sustainable future.
ORTA’s handprint will promote denim manufacturing at the intersection of where people, planet and purpose matter. As Orta, we are committed to explore new horizons mentally, physically, and emotionally in order to support the human spirit of our co-workers, customers and consumers. We believe in designing an ecologically vibrant planet by embracing the human prosperity.
At ORTA we believe while our footprint is what we take from the planet when we consume, our handprint is what we give the planet back as we create change for the better.
We invite you to explore our handprint via the 5 events we will be holding throughout the year, around the world.