we touch the future
· The textile industry relies mostly on non-renewable resources. By 2050, we would need 3 planets to provide natural resources needed to sustain our current lifestyles as the population is expected to grow to 9,6B.
· 6,35M tons of waste, mainly plastics, is dumped into the ocean every year. By 2025, there will be 2,2B tons of waste every year, more than 3 times the amount produced in 2009.
· Around 70% of the industrial waste pollutes the usable water supply, influencing the life in marine ecosystems where an estimate of 245,000 km2 of the ecosystem is affected (approximately the same area as all the world’s coral reefs).
· According to UN, 80% of wastewater flows back into the rivers and oceans without being treated or reused.
· According to UN, global emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) have increased by almost 50% since 1990.
· Around 5% of total global emissions come from the fashion industry, 1,2B tons of CO2 equivalent (CO2e) per year, which is more emissions than international flights and maritime shipping.
· According to Ellen Mac Arthur Foundation, 43M tons of chemicals are used in 1 year to produce textiles.
· According to Ellen Mac Arthur Foundation, 53M tons of fiber is produced for clothing, 12% of which is lost/wasted in production annually.
· Only 2% of our planet’s land is allocated to cotton crops and it uses 25% of the world’s pesticides and 11% of the world’s insecticides.
· 100% transparent production through Life Cycle Assessment – a tool used to quantify the environmental performance of a product taking the complete life cycle into account.
· In-house biological wastewater treatment plant to improve discharged water quality.
· Periodic wastewater effluent analysis and ZDHC compliance to achieve greater transparency and zero discharge of hazardous chemicals.
· We aim to empower the denim ecosystem by embracing circularity into our designs and processes towards a zero-waste economy.
· Together with Circle Economy, VF Corporation and Auping, we co-created Circle Fashion Tool – a decision-making tool for brands and manufacturers to evaluate the closed loop options for textile waste.
· Holistic “Reduce – Reuse – Recycle” practices through standardized management systems.
· We voluntarily assess our environmental performance with Higg Index.
· We commit to embrace circularity towards zero waste.
· We will continue to be 100% transparent in all of our production stages and communicate the Life Cycle Assessment of our products based on our environmental KPIs with our stakeholders.
· We aim to extend our fully automated and third-party controlled chemical management system and we promise to be always in search for safer solutions in the industry.
· We aim to continue our carbon reduction projects. We also commit to measure and monitor our yearly emissions and share our performance with our stakeholders transparently.
· We aim to employ our Denim Service facility with 100% sustainable garment finishing processes.
· We commit to embed innovative solutions to minimize the environmental impact of finishing processes.
PROCESS – ISTANBUL EVENT
WE TOUCH THE FUTURE is a nod to our 65 years of heritage, reflecting our present and embracing the sustainable future.
As the brand aiming to pursue sustainable lifestyles and production, ORTA celebrates its’ 65th year with an assertive mission; the celebration of future; the celebration of change for the better with industrial core points: water, energy, process, raw & recycle and human.
As Orta, we’ve celebrated the final step of our 65th year anniversary – PROCESS – with an upbeat night in Istanbul. While guests enjoyed the delicious treats created by Murat Deniz Temel and enjoyed refined music of Kerem Görsev and his orchestra, Orta team shared important facts about the future of denim industry with commitments to create a better future.As Orta, we’ve celebrated the final step of our 65th year anniversary – PROCESS – with an upbeat night in Istanbul. While guests enjoyed the delicious treats created by Murat Deniz Temel and enjoyed refined music of Kerem Görsev and his orchestra, Orta team shared important facts about the future of denim industry with commitments to create a better future.
We invite you to explore our handprint via the 5 events we will be holding throughout the year, around the world.